Sunday, January 17, 2016

Writing Screenplays is HARD.

I've been writing a screenplay for 'Dance That Noise Away'. Holy shlamolie. My appreciation for all things Spielberg has been augmented with each beat, scene, and act I've struggled to make in an entertaining, coherent way. It forced me to start perusing the internets for interviews and school sessions featuring analyses of cinematography's best directors and their methods. Writing for a camera and associated scenes is hard man! Learning the jargon and techniques isn't particularly difficult, just time consuming, that's not the hard part. The hard part is realizing how many awesome options there are for filming in a modern age and deciding from that myriad of options which one works best not only overall for each act, but  each scene. Filling every single beat in a way that feeds into one's overall vision of expression. And I mean, me writing this stuff and complaining about how hard it is is the gym equivalent of me going to the gym and complaining about how hard it is (haven't worked out lately), but it's still enough for me to recognize the hard work that does go into something masterful, like pretty much everything Steven Spielberg has touched. And Mad Max: Fury Road. =)

So yeah, three hours into writing and my head feels like it's going to explode, but it's a good kind of stress. I'm loving it.


No comments:

Post a Comment