Friday, April 15, 2016

The Studio @ Audio West

There are a few impossible things I used to imagine growing up. Joining the NBA, dating Natalie Portman, attending Harvard, working in a Sony-level recording studio and becoming a rich person before retiring to some tropical paradise.

Seriously, when you're this tall ^^, it
gets super boring super fast.
I never joined the NBA because by my senior year in high school I'd realized basketball wasn't for me, despite being hunted down by the school's assistant coach. I never did get to date Natalie Portman, which is okay because I wasn't really interested and later found myself dating an international extreme sports athlete instead O.o. When it came time to go to better colleges, I met the dean of Harvard's theology school (very classy gentleman) and refused his invitation to attend because I didn't think the degree was worth 30 years of debt whose payback rate was the equivalent of house payments. On a really nice house. I've been exposed to upper class living long enough to realize how blissfully content I am living in a nice apartment instead of a home that's too big even for me. A lot of childhood dreams have either morphed into something more realistic or been met by an unexpected twist of fate.


Finally putting this beast to use on a flat surface was tear-jerking.
And while I'm not working at Sony (and frankly, I have no desire to,) it just so happened that yesterday fate was kind enough take that second to last dream and offer me a great opportunity to work in the nicest recording studio I've ever been in (yes, I've seen all of BYU's recording apparatus and I'm sorry, as far as sound goes Audio West takes the cake). You'll recall the freak miracle the other day that led a David Bowie tribute band up north to call me up and invite me to become their sound-engineer, computer technician, background vocalist, etc etc. Well as I said before the group is tight, and now tighter than ever. The lead in the group was so impressed he bought a sizable amount of time to practice and record at Audio West and holy shlamolie.
What an experience. It was so nice being in a space
where I didn't have to compensate on my software with ten
thousand different sound effects to coax a believable
reverb and tone quality out our band's recording.
Avoiding the commercial music program feels justified.

Our leader, 'Tom', and I are going to parse through the audio, do some mixing and mastering over the next few days and see what we can start making together on the sound engineering front. Promises to be a lot of fun.











And thank you person, for letting me use your basketball picture. By Steve Lipofsky Basketballphoto.com - http://www.basketballphoto.com/basketballindexz.htm, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=41413717


No comments:

Post a Comment